What is the Gospel
The word "Gospel" means Good News. The Gospel is good news because...
- It addresses and cures man's greatest problem.
- It meets man's greatest need.
- It centers on the greatest man to ever walk the planet.
Sadly, while many people have the word "Gospel" they really don't know what the message is. This walkthrough is designed to help you both understand and experience the good news of the Gospel.
It Begins with God
The gospel is of God (Romans 1:1) and proclaims the glory of God in what He has done (Ephesians 1:6-14).
The Bible provides the authoritative truth of God.
- God is the Creator (Genesis 1:1). God created everything including man and He owns and rules over all. We are all responsible to Him.
- God is Holy (Isaiah 6:3). He is completely set apart from His creation and perfect in every way.
- God is Righteous (Psalm 11:7). God always has and always will do the right thing.
- God must and will judges sin (Acts 17:31). This truth about God leads to some bad news for man.
It Reveals the Truth About Man
- Sin is the main issue. Sin is disobedience to God in thought, intention, desire, word, and deed. Sin can be active or passive. We are all guilty (Romans 3:10-18,23; Ephesians 2:1-3).
- Death is the consequence of sin (Genesis 2:17; Romans 6:23). Sin separates us from God (Isaiah 59:1-2). Sin puts us under the wrath of God (John 3:36; Romans 1:18). You cannot work your way out of your judgment (Romans 3:19-20)
- Hell is a real place of eternal punishment (Hebrews 9:27; Hebrews 10:26-31; Matthew 10:28; Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:10). The acceptance of this bad news prepares you to receive the Good News.
It Focuses on Jesus Christ
- God in His Love sent His Son (John 3:16)
- The Son of God is the only Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). You must understand the Person of Christ.
- He is God - eternal (John 1:1) and creator (John 1:3).
- He is man - God took on human flesh (John 1:14).
- He is God (John 8:24)
- He is the only way to God (1 Timothy 2:4-5)
You Must Understand the Work of Christ
- He died on a cross as a substitute for sinners and rose again from the dead having conquered sin and death (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
- This is the Good News that God reconciles sinners to Himself on the basis of who Jesus is and what He did.
It Demands a Response
In Mark 1:15, Jesus said we must repent and believe the gospel. Knowing what the gospel is, does not make you right with God.
You Must Repent of Sin
- This was the message of Jesus (Luke 24:44-47) and of the Apostles (Acts 17:30; 26:20). To repent means to turn around completely in your mind, heart, and will. It means U-turning away from sin, selfishness, and death to follow Jesus (1 Thessalonians 1:9-10).
You Must Believe in Christ
- Salvation comes by faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:28).
- This involves 3 things:
- Know the facts of the gospel (Romans 10:14)
- Acknowledge the truth of those facts (James 2:17-20)
- Commit to the person of Jesus (John 20:28)
- This involves 3 things:
What Will You Do?
Watch out for common mistakes people make in responding to this message:
- They try and add works to faith thinking they earn their way to heaven.
- They don't fully repent - they give up some sin but hold on to others.
- They don't commit to the person of Christ just agreeing with the facts.
- They don't count the cost of what it will mean to follow Christ.
What will you do with this Good News?
We would urge you to consider the consequences of rejecting this message and that you would fully embrace it by repenting from your sin and believing in Jesus Christ
In Christ, you will find forgiveness, joy, hope, and reconciliation with God.